Top Surgery Specialists of NYC: Female-to-Male (FTM), Male-to-Female (MTF), and Non-Binary (N) Top Surgery
Do insurance plans cover top surgery? Top Surgery Specialists of NYC accepts many insurance plans. However, the cost to the patient will be determined by the benefits specific to that patient’s policy. Some patients have high deductible plans, others don’t. Some patients have high reimbursement out-of-network benefits, and some don’t. Our office does our best to help patients try to understand what their expected costs are, if any, although it’s really up to the patient to contact their insurance company themselves to confirm what their financial responsibilities are according to the plan you have.
Who is a candidate for Top Surgery? The criteria Female-to-Male (FTM), Male-to-Female (MTF), and Non-Binary (N) Top Surgery are set forth by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) and consist of the following:
- Persistent, well-documented gender dysphoria.
- Capacity to make a fully informed decision and to consent for treatment.
- Be of the age of majority in the country of surgery (if younger, special considerations may apply).
- Significant medical or mental health concerns, if present, must be reasonably well controlled at the time of surgery.
- Hormone supplementation is not a prerequisite.
Are there any financing options available to help me pay for Top Surgery if my insurance does not cover the surgery? Yes, we offer CareCredit Financing.
How much time will I need to take off work/school to recuperate after my Top Surgery? Most Top Surgery patients usually take off one full week from work or school. Certain activity restrictions will be in place for at least the first two weeks following surgery.
Do I need to be on testosterone or estrogen before I can get Top Surgery?
No. WPATH Standards of Care do not require hormone therapy to be eligible for Top Surgery. An exception to this is if you are trying to get U.S. insurance coverage for Top Surgery, in which case you may find that 1 year of hormone supplementation is required by certain insurance carriers.
Will I be in much pain after my top surgery? The answer depends on your personal pain threshold but generally, pain is low to moderate and can be effectively managed with pain medication. We have a specialized protocol that allows us to perform surgery without the need for post-operative narcotics.
Can I get top surgery if I’m under 18 years old? No, we do not treat minors. Patients must be at least 18 years old to be candidates for Top Surgery.
What should I do to prepare my body for top surgery?
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking negatively affects healing and can contribute to complications such as the loss of nipple grafts. At minimum, do not smoke for 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after surgery.
- Eat a healthy diet. Avoid processed foods, excess sugar, etc.
- Exercise regularly. For FTM/N that desire such results, include exercises that target your chest muscles. Defined chest muscles will provide more contour for the surgeon to work with and will help improve your surgery results.
- Abstain from alcohol for two weeks prior to and for two weeks following surgery. Alcohol thins your blood and can increase bleeding and bruising.
- Discuss any medications you are taking, including hormones, with your surgeon and anesthesiologist. Your surgeon will likely provide you with a list of medications and herbal products to avoid before surgery.
Top Surgery Specialists of NYC specializes in taking exceptional care of each Top Surgery patient from the initial consultation to the post-recovery period. The honor and privilege of caring for our patients comes with the responsibility and dedication of the best in class board certified plastic surgeons and our staff to adhere to the utmost standards of excellence in patient care and final surgical outcome. As a top-rated best in class Top Surgery specialists we provide highly personalized and comprehensive care. The goal of Top Surgery is to achieve the most natural result possible and to help satisfy our patient’s physical transition goals. If you have any questions or would like to schedule a Top Surgery consultation please feel free to contact us:
Top Surgery Specialists of NYC
800A 5th Ave
New York, NY 10065